CyanogenMod 7.03 - A Quick Eval

I've been using CM7 for a few weeks now on my HTC Hero, and am love love loving it. It is as much of an improvement on CM6 as CM6 was on the stock HTC ROM. Some highlights:
  • It's fast and silky smooth -- much more so than CM6. For the first time since I've had it, my Hero doesn't feel underpowered and struggling to keep up with tasks I throw at it.
  • It's more stable. I get very few errors or crashes. (For example, the camera doesn't crash like it often did in CM6.)
  • More core apps update through the market: I've received updates to Gmail and to the Market itself automatically -- no fussing with apk files.
  • Battery life seems to be better (though I haven't thoroughly tested this.)
About the only problem I've encountered is with Google Navigation. If often freezes or causes the phone to reboot. This was an issue in CM6 for me as well, though, and I've read that the problem may be fixed in the release candidate for CM7.1, but haven't tried that yet.

All-in-all I'd recommend that anyone using CM6 (or the stock Sense ROM) to upgrade to 7. It's a big improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment