A Jet Pack for the Ground? The Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite


Game face
Would I feel like this on a 29er?
When I'm not dreaming of solo jet-powered atmospheric flight, I like to spend time doing a different kind of high speed travel -- traveling through the woods on single track trails atop my trusty mountain bike. The bike I'd ridden for a several years now needed to be replaced, so I picked up a new Trek 29er mtb. A few months on and 150-or-so miles in, here are my thoughts.

Before I Start: What Sort of Rider am I?
I would say that I'm a solidly intermediate rider. I've been riding fairly regularly (once or twice per week, weather permitting) off-road since the mid-'90s, primarily in the Midwest (MI) and in the Northeast (VA and MD). Most of my off-road rides are 20 miles or less. I don't do a lot of jumping, barreling off of cliffs or other extreme biking, and have never raced. I've mostly ridden with less-experienced bikers or gone solo, and because of these things (and an overwhelming desire for a long, healthy and pain-free life) I’m probably more cautious than many other riders. Don't get me wrong -- I do like to have fun out there, do push myself, and have wrecked a few times (with the scars to prove it). When it comes to really risky stuff, though, I err on the side of caution.Typically.

Likes: fast singletrack, some good uphills, a variety of terrain
Dislikes: steep downhills, too many obstacles to hop
Trail Nemesis: rock gardens

Bikes of Trails Past::
  • Entry level Trek MTB with no suspension (can't remember the model)
  • GT Tequesta hardtail with a RockShock front shock and V-brakes (new at the time)
  • Trek Fuel 90, full suspension w/disc brakes and SPD pedals
All of my prior bikes had standard 26" wheels. I wasn’t initially looking at 29ers  -- I didn't know anything about them. After testing a few standard-sized MTBs, I took the advice of a salesperson at my friendly neighborhood bike shop and took a 29er for a ride. I was impressed, and sprung for a '12 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite -- my first with the larger 29" wheels.
Pretty fly for a white bike?


There's been a lot of talk about the supposed advantages (and dis-) of 29ers in the MTB community, maybe (maybe?) too much talk. Here are the potential bennies I was most interested in:
  • Larger wheel circumference = easier rolling over obstacles
  • Increased stability and confidence in my riding
  • A smoother overall ride -- too many big bumps  and my lower back starts to protest
  • The combo of less aggressive tire treads, less rolling resistance and more distance per pedal stroke, which should make the bike a better performer on packed or paved surfaces. (As much as I fancy myself a hardcore trail rider, due to weather and time constraints I do end up riding on the road more than I'd like.)
Those are what I was hoping for. Is that what I got with the Superfly?

What's Great:
  • I was immediately comfortable riding the Superfly -- it took me no time at all to adjust to riding a 29er.
  • On the trail, it doesn’t feel any bigger than a standard 26” bike.
  • It could be completely psychological, but I do feel faster on the Superfly 100. 
  • I definitely have more confidence on the trail. I take more risks. Is it because of the bike, or because of the reputation of 29ers?
  • Shifting is very smooth, and with the 3x10 setup, I never feel as though I run out of gears.
  • The brakes are solid -- smooth, quiet and firm.
  • The Fox front and rear shocks do a great job of absorbing bumps large and small making for a very smooth ride. I can ride longer without soreness or fatigue.
  • The Active Braking Pivot works well too. The suspension still functions while the brakes are locked -- a big improvement over my original full-suspension MTB.
  • The bike is quiet, on the road and on the trail. Hikers I've passed have made comments on how they didn’t hear me coming. Deer don't even know I'm there until I've passed them. (Note: second sentence is pure fabrication.)
  • The ProPedal lever on the rear shock works well. I flip it in one position when I’m on the trails, and the shock works just like you’d expect it. I use the other setting when I’m on smoother terrain. It still protects me from really big hits, but substantially reduces pedal bob.
Not So Great:
  • Though I didn’t notice it on the trail, in other circumstances it becomes obvious that this 29er is a big bike. It’s more challenging to carry it around indoors. The rear tire comes right to the edge of my roof rack (which isn’t a problem, but does make it clear how large it is.) This is not a good bike to keep in a small apartment.
  • The '12 Superfly Al Elite only comes in gloss white, which did make me hesitate when considering it. I’m used to the color now, though it does get dirty quickly. The just-announced '13 model has a more typical MTB color scheme.
  • Though it’s big bike, there isn’t much room in the frame for water bottles. I had to buy shorter bottle to fit, and it’s still tight. It possible to inadvertently flip the ProPedal switch when pulling the water bottle out for a drink.
  • Also frame related: due to frame shape and position of the rear shock, it won’t fit on my indoor rack, and probably wouldn’t work with many hanging car racks without an adapter.
  • Though I love the tires because they’re quiet, I do wish sometimes that they had more bite on the trails. When the tires are damp I sometimes spin them trying to power over rocks and other obstacles.
  • Despite the name, it is not a light bike. It is noticeable when lugging it around, and occasionally when popping up the front wheel on a ride. It's not heavier than comparable bikes, but being slightly heavier is one of the downsides to 29ers.

    The bike just fits on my roof rack.
  • Not much room for a water bottle in the Superfly.
    And note how close the tip of the bottle is to the ProPedal lever.
Summing Up:

Though I have a few minor complaints, I'm very happy with the bike overall. It ain't cheap (nearly double the price of my most recent MTB), but at this point I feel it's worth it. The Superfly is a fast and confident performer, and has really brought the fun and enthusiasm back into mountain biking for me. I'm more inclined to challenge myself riding the Superfly, and feel that I've increased my riding skills in a short time. Though it may not fly (most of the time), it does haul.   

A few other opinions:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment